Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Product Review: Sammy Snacks Snackers

We just got the Sammy Snacks line of products at our store.  It's the first I've heard of it, but since I work in a pet store, I get what I need from my store and rarely venture into others, so it might be something everyone else is aware of already.

Sammy Snacks has a food line and a treat line, and it's the treat I'm reviewing.  The treats are called Snackers and are meant for people to be able to share with their dogs.

Being me, I've tried things that weren't meant for people to be able to share with dogs, just to see.  I know I'm not the only one although most people look at me funny when I admit this.  (I'm not gonna lie.  I eat dog food.  If it's good enough for my dog, it ought to be good enough for me.)

We got six varieties of Snackers at the store.  Carob Chip, Blueberry, Peanut Butter, Cheddar, Cranberry, and Pumpkin.  Only five are listed on the website, so I'm thinking Pumpkin must be a seasonal variety.  I bought one bag each of Pumpkin, Blueberry, and Carob Chip.

I tasted the Blueberry Snackers first.  They weren't disgusting, but they weren't OMG-I-have-to-have-more great, either.  I definitely thought dogs would like them more than people, and I was sort of disappointed.  It's not the flavor, it's the texture.  Although they don't have the meat and bone meal that gives Milk Bones and other cheaper biscuits that gritty texture, it's still a very dry, crunchy texture.  This is probably due to the rice flour used to make it.  Using rice instead of wheat gives it an odd texture, but makes the Snackers wheat and gluten free, for people or dogs who can't have wheat or gluten.

Next I tried the Pumpkin, and I did not like them.  The taste with the texture was just too much.  I love blueberry, so I can forgive the Blueberry Snackers the texture in favor of the taste.  Not so with the Pumpkin.  I sort of wish they hadn't just used pumpkin.  Pumpkin spice would have been nice.  More like pumpkin pie or ginger snaps than just a squash flavored crunchy ball.

The last I tried was the Carob Chip, and wow.  We've gone through almost an entire bag.  Everyone in the house loves them.  The flavor reminded me of something but it took a few days for me to put my finger on it.  As I sat last night munching some out of the bag while watching a movie (yes, the SO and I were eating dog biscuits out of the bag while the disconcerted dog practically turned himself inside out trying to remind us he was there), it suddenly came to me.  Cookie Crisp.  They taste like Cookie Crisp, the cereal.

Of the two remaining flavors, Peanut Butter seems intriguing (I wonder if it tastes like Peanut Butter Capt'n Crunch?) but I think judging from the other two fruit flavors that I'll leave the Cranberry alone.

One thing to note:  There is an AAFCO guaranteed analysis on the bag, but no nutritional information that most people will find helpful for themselves (IE:  calories from fat, carbs, etc).

The ingredients list for the Carob Chip runs as follows:
White rice flour, rolled oats, carob chips, brown sugar, canola oil, vanilla extract.
The rest of the flavors are pretty much exactly the same, only subtracting the carob chips and adding in it's place blueberries, or pumpkin, or what have you.

I have to recommend these, if only for the novelty factor.

No comments:

Post a Comment